Squirrels are lovely to see playing within nature. What’s a walk in the park without seeing these furry, often cute, creatures running around in a natural environment. There’s a big “but” though, for home owners. they can wreak havoc on your home and cause significant damage – even illness. The bottom line is – squirrels on your property, and certainly in your home, must be removed.
If you’re in Oakville, Burlington, Milton Ontario and area, call our squirrel removal and control experts at Halton Wildlife now for a free squirrel removal quote!
Our experts have put together the main issues associated with squirrels and your property…and what to do!
Top 6 Problems Squirrels Cause In and Around Your Home
- Chewing on electrical wires: Squirrels have a tendency to gnaw on things, and electrical wires are no exception. This can cause serious damage to your home’s wiring, and in some cases, it can even start a fire. Not so fun fact: certain types of decorative Christmas lighting have become a favourite of squirrels – to destroy! The wires are great for their teeth…but they mistake some of the newer LED bulbs as food and look to forage them away. Unless you like to buy them new each year – be careful which lighting you buy!
- Damaging insulation: Squirrels often nest in attics and walls, and they can cause significant damage to the insulation while they’re there. This can lead to drafts, higher energy bills, and other problems.
- Gnawing on wood and other building materials: Squirrels can also gnaw on wood, siding, and other parts of your home’s exterior. This can create holes and other structural weaknesses.
- Carrying diseases: Squirrels can also be a health concern, as they can carry diseases such as squirrel pox, which can be transmitted to humans, through bites or droppings.
- Raiding bird feeders: If you keep bird feeders on your property, squirrels will often raid them, eating all of the birdseed and scaring away other birds.
- Damaging garden: Squirrels can dig up bulbs, chew on plants and tree bark, they can become a big problem for gardeners
Can I win the battle against squirrels?
Yes, you can take steps to protect your home or property. Number one is to avoid leaving food sources around your home. Bird feeders are a favourite of squirrels, and attracts them – in a big way. Then they may look to nest nearby, like in your attic. On that front, ensure eaves and gutters don’t have gaps that would allow entry. Likewise, ensure roof vent covers are not loose or excessively warn. These are typical attic entry points. If they get in here, you’re on your way to potentially tremendous damage to wiring, insulation, framing and building material. Protective roof vent covers often do the trick!
Take care of your squirrel pest problem – fast
If you suspect that you have a squirrel problem in your home, it’s important to take action right away to prevent further damage and to address any health concerns. You can prevent these problem by squirrel-proofing your home, or remove the squirrels humanely with the help of professionals or animal control services.